150 years of the Sisters of Mercy North Sydney
5th March 2015 in News
Elizabeth McQuoin made her vows in 1851 in Liverpool, England and was given the name of Sr Ignatius.
She arrived at the Rocks on 15 November 1865 and soon moved to a rented cottage at North Sydney (1873) and set up a boarding school. The small boarding school was not big enough to meet the needs of the local community so Elizabeth purchased a much larger house called MASALOU and the Sisters moved there and opened a school. The Convent was named Monte Sant’ Angelo.